Monday, September 18, 2006

Of Furkids Past- Part One

I can't introduce the current Furfamily members without beginning with two who have been gone only a short time. The 'short time' is actually 3 years, but these sweet ones were with me for 15 years. My heart doesn't go by a calendar.

Cardigan(Pooh) was a blue merle Australian Shepherd cross. So named because of her resemblance, or so I thought, to a moth-eaten sweater. Pooh was small and dainty by Aussie breed standards. At only 31 lbs, she fit nicely into the apartment du jour. She had what I called the "apartment bark"- a light, barely audible percolating sound which she kindly taught to her brother Gunther. However, upon seeing a beloved human, she let out a screeching aahoo-ike-oooh, continuously until she thought that person well met. A very interesting sound, indeed, when in a underground parking garage.

She padded softly beside me through an In-patient stay for depression, a poorly chosen marriage(what was I thinking?) and The Divorce. In an attempt to salvage that marriage, I even offered to give Cardigan away, as my husband was not a dog person. And, though he declined the offer, giving away a family member will never be offered again- to anyone. I kept the dog and lost the husband, the best choice hands(or paws) down.

While I loved Cardigan dearly, she was the result of human ignorance. Born out of the belief that if you let a dog have one litter- she will be a better pet after being spayed. *Soapbox Alert* Nope, still have the same dog, plus a litter of mixed-breed puppies that may never find responsible homes. Added to that, the dog now has a higher chance of breast cancer because of not being spayed before her first heat. And should someone feel the need teach children the "miracle of birth" by allowing(making) the family dog or cat have a litter, be sure the curriculum also includes a fieldtrip. Strap those kiddos in the ol' SUV and head on down to the local Animal Shelter. Where on Euthanasia Day(just a tad different than Earth Day), they can learn what happens to all the leftover Life-ED Course 'materials'. Please find another way to teach the children. Fluffy thanks you, and so do Shelter workers around the world. *Soapbox now stowed away*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. My sister has an Australian shephard named Pepper because of her coloring, that is now 7 years old and in pretty good health. The dog was born deaf; that's partly why my sister got it as she is deaf. Pepper is very cool.

Shaun said...

Hi Vickie,
Thanks ever so much for your comments. Aren't Aussies great? Has your sister taught Pepper any signs? Cardigan went deaf the last year, but a good stomp on the floor of the house(mobilehome) got her attention and then I used hand signals.(LOL) I have made sure that the others are learning hand signs now, before they HAVe to need them.Happy Tails to you...

Anonymous said...

My sister does use hand signals, which Pepper most often obeys. She is quite stubborn at times, tho, but she's an asesome dog. I love her. My dog can always tell when I've been to see Pepper.

Shaun said...

Hi Vickie,
You do know that complimenting a new blogger only makes them post again, don't you? (grin) Thank you. And congrats regarding 30+ years of marriage. My other puppers, TBA later are such a blessing. I have 1-Dobe, 1-Rotti-cross, 1- Aussie. I will give each one of them, their day. I am needing to find out how one links back to a pic like Farmgirl does. It would be great to just highlight "Gunther" and a pic could be seen no matter what day. I think I know- but gotta experiment. I've had no 'puter classes anywhere, except at Whoops University...

Anonymous said...

Our dog Rocky was a Rott and such a faithful soul. We also have had 2 shephards and 2 cats. They have all been our soul-mates. Both my cats made it 20 years before their time came to pass. It broke my heart, and I pray to St. Francis still, every night, to take care of all our pets and to let them know we love them.